You'd think that if you speak English and you don't have a criminal record that immigration would be no problem. This is not the case. If I were from a thrid world country or facing religious persecution I would have slid right in. So, we hired an immigration lawyer.
After taking copious amounts of bodily fluids, I went through a three step interview process. I had already provided an FBI background check and that was fine. My fingerprints hadn't shown up on interpol so all that was left was to have a little sit down with a man from Chile.
Interview 1) This was bascially to determine my mental well-being and make sure I wasn't a crazy person.
Interview 2) This was a joint interview between my future husband and myself. I thought we did very well.
Interview 3) This one was done individually where they ask you both the same questions in seperate rooms and then compare your answers. Thank God he remembered what colour my toothbrush was!
Alas, I have been accepted and it only cost a total of $15,000! That includes the lawyer's fees. I am now a resident alien and have found a new respect for all the Mexican's in Southern California. People are enamoured by my American accent, a far cry from traveling through Europe where I decided being a Canadian was a much better idea (I had a run in with a mean mean man in Italy).
Advice? If you met an Aussie, guy or girl, you want to immigrate to the great land of OZ? Save EVERYTHING! Pictures, letters, phone bills, shared expenses and make sure you can account for every minute you and your beloved have spent together. Statements from family and friends are helpful as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment